Owl Image

Is feeding a newborn necessary every two hours including in the night?

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Question
My son is 6days old...
1 In d night wat ever I do he won't wake, he will b in deep sleep....In that case how to feed every 2 hrs
2 How to know if baby tummy is full
3 Is it ok to use diaper whole day
4 before changing. to new diaper do I need to apply rash cream
5 is it ok to apply baby powder
Mon, 14 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry, watch for urine output

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Altered sleep cycle can be there during initial few months of life.
Watch for urine output and if baby is passing urine 4-6 times a day, you need not to worry.
You may use diaper for whole day, but then you need to check the diaper frequently to see whether baby has passed urine or stool. Also check that the diaper should not be very tight to avoid pressure rash.
Monitoring urine output is very important to assess the adequacy of feeding.
Better I would suggest you to use cotton nappy during day time and diaper at night.
You need not to apply Rash cream before hand.
The feed should be on demand and it is not necessary to feed at an interval of 2 hours. Still If you find it is too long, you may tickle the sole or ear to make him awake for feeding.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: Is feeding a newborn necessary every two hours including in the night? 37 hours later
Thanks... Some yellowish type sticky substance is coming from his left eye... Once he wake up from sleep its makings his left eye stick with each other.... Yesterday nasal drop went to his eyes.... Sticky substance is l due to heat or some infection

Many relatives say after bathing baby we need to lightly wrap his legs with muslin cloth so that his legs will b straight....Is it really required??? I'm attaching his pic for reference

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Clean the eyes properly, may need antibiotic drop

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for follow up

Please clean the eyes with help of wet cotton(with sterile water or boiled and cooled water) from inside out at least 4-6 times a day.Wash your hand properly before cleaning the eyes.
Baby may need antibiotic eye drop also if this symptom persists.
I have seen the image and this posture is common in all new born. No specific treatment is needed and better to observe only.

Follow-up: Is feeding a newborn necessary every two hours including in the night? 39 hours later
Thanks...

He got 1 puss type boil on his outer umbilical cord.. is it normal

I usually lie on bed and feed ... I do that since sitting for a long time causes back pain... is it ok??

sometimes baby feed continuously for 1- 1.5 hr is it normal

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better not to feed in lying down position

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for follow up

I would like to know if the cord has fallen or not. There can be some yellowish/reddish swelling inside the umbilicus with very little discharge after falling off of the cord.
But if you find any lesion on the border or if discharge is significant I would suggest you to consult a pediatrician soon.
Regarding feeding, I would suggest you better not to feed in lying down position. As feeding in lying down position may cause seepage of milk inside the ear(in small babies the ear canal is straight unlike in older children) and thus infection. There are chances of choking also if baby regurgitates the feed.
You can feed the baby in inclined position with back support. Always try to keep the head end of the baby up while feeding.

I shall be glad to help further if you need any.

Follow-up: Is feeding a newborn necessary every two hours including in the night? 43 minutes later
yes the cord has fallen... I have attached the image of lesion for the reference... please let me know is there anything to worry

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please reattach the image

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Sorry for delayed reply

I am not able to find the attached image. There is only one image and in that umbilicus is not seen. I request you to reattach the image.
I don't get worried if there is no redness around the umbilicus or any significant discharge is there.