• question-icon

What causes rashes on the hands and in the pelvic area?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband has a rash on hands and pelvic area all the way around his mid section. Has had 2 steroid shots and hands are better but not his mid section. He has also been getting leg cramps almost every night, night sweats and has recently lost 20 lbs. He has some added stress and exposed to agent orange in Vietnam. He has been taking medicine as a borderline diabetic and kept his a1c at 6.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Side effects of drugs

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms , I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns . Since your husband has been exposed to agent orange then he has an increased risk of developing malignancy that is why I would recommend that he get a CBC test and white blood cell count to exclude lymphoma. lymphoma can present with profuse sweating , rash and weight loss but will also be accompanied with enlarged lymph nodes and low grade fever.
If excluded then he should consider discontinuing trazadone as it can cause the side effects of increased sweating , weight loss in up to 10% of patients using it , it can also rarely cause the side effects of musculoskeletal pain and rash.
Also klonapin can cause the side effects of weight loss and sweating.
As for the leg cramps they can be due to dehydration, so he should make sure he is adequately hydrated during the day and can also be due to calcium and potassuim difficiency , so I would recommend that he check on his blood calcium and potassuim levels . I hope I answered your question
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman