What causes raised lesions in the pubic area?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Which specialist do I need for spots/bumps which have appeared in my public area (not currently on the penis or scrotum)?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 minutes later
Hello! Related you concern I suggest to meet an infectious disease specialist to exclude a STD (HPV,HSV, etc). Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
Ok, great. What else do you need to know?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar (dermatologist and venereologist ). I have gone through your query and I have viewed the images.

I can see multiple raised lesions. They are probably fluid filled.
I request you to upload a few more images in better light so that I am able to visualize them better.
I would like to know the duration since you noticed them?
Do you have any symptoms like pain?burning? Itching?
Are you sexually active?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 27 minutes later
The camera isn't great, I'm afraid.
I noticed them maybe yesterday. No pain, no burning, no itchiness.
Yes, I'm sexually active.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of genital molluscum contagiosum

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. I have viewed the Images

I can make out a few dome shaped lesions though the images are not very clear.
I would keep a possibility of Genital Molluscum Contagiosum which presents as pearly white, dome shaped, umblicated lesions, asymptomatic lesions.
It is an infection caused by molluscum contagiosum virus. The infection is transmitted through skin to skin contact during sexual intercourse.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 14 minutes later
Ok. Is there anything else it could be?

If it is that, how is it treated?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment options for genital molluscum

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Molluscum are clinically distinctive and the diagnosis is clear cut on clinical examination of patient. The lesions are dome shaped, asymptomatic, pearly white lesions with a central dent which is very characteristic of molluscum lesions.
Treatment for molluscum is with either electrofulguration or with needle extraction of molluscum bodies. A doctor would do it for you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 20 minutes later
And that is necessary? All the information I can find say they're harmless and will just fade over time. But you're saying they need active treatment?

Are there any actions I need to take, or avoid taking?

For how long are they contagious? Assuming they still are.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Molluscum Contagiosum

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Genital molluscum may increase in number. Shaving pubuc hair can encourage spread to surrounding skin. Molluscum might reduce or disappear over time but this time period is often very long and most individuals prefer some form of active treatment.
They can be passed on to your sexual partners through skin to skin contact during intercourse. They are contagious as long as they are there.