What causes pulmonary embolism post aluminium or dust exposure?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Cancer
Question: My husband has been exposed to aluminum dust/shavings for the last 33 years while working for an airplane mfg. Last week he was admitted to ICU for bilateral pulmonary embolisms, from what I was told the lungs are filled with them. My research leads me to believe this is an occupational disease and I am looking for a pulmonologist in XXXXXXX to address this issue. They do not know where or why the embolisms occurred but they cannot find out until a month after him being on blood thinner.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Aluminum dust is unlikely to cause bilateral Pulmonary embolism.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HCM.
I can understand your husband's situation and problem. I have gone through the reports you have attached.
Pulmonary embolism is the most common cause for acute respiratory failure.
Etiological factors include age more than 50, smoker, bedridden, recent surgery, recent air travel, hypercoagulation states like protein C, protein deficiency,homocysteinema, obesity, diabetes etc.
So in his case old age and diabetes can be the cause for bilateral Pulmonary embolism.
Please let me know
1. Is he smoker?
2. His height and weight?
3. Any recent history of trauma or surgery
4. Was he having any cardiac disease in past?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wishing good health to your husband. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Dr Bhavsar,

He quit smoking 2 years ago. Has not had an injury or surgery and no history of cardiac arrest. He is 5' 7" and weights 245. He does have a history of Barrets esphogus.

Thank you,
XXX
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
He is having morbid obesity.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on HCM.
I have calculated his BMI (body mass index).
It comes around 40.80. On this basis he is having morbid obesity.
So according to me possible causes for his bilateral Pulmonary embolism are
1. Age more than 50 years.
2. Positive smoking history in past
3. Morbid obesity.
4. Diabetes
He might also have obstructive sleep apnea due to morbid obesity.
Is he having snoring at night, excessive day time sleepiness, morning headache?
I will be happy to help you further.
Wishing good health to your husband.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 7 hours later
He does have sleep apnea and does use a c-pap machine. He has low energy during the day and frequently wakes up with headaches.

Is it possible his Barrets esphogus turned into cancer that is spreading to his lungs?
Brief Answer:
Barrets esophagus is less likely cause.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Health Care Magic.
Barrets esophagus can turn into squamous cell carcinoma. And this can cause Pulmonary embolism but incidence of this is extremely rare.
So barrets esophagus as a cause for Pulmonary embolism is extremely unlikely.
He is having other strongly positive causative factors like age, diabetes, sleep apnea, obesity, smoker etc.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar .
Wishing good health to your husband.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist