What causes prolonged vaginal bleeding after delivery?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi... Good morning... I'm 24 years old and my 1st delivery 40 days ended on 25th of July... The problem is I bleed for 30days at a stretch and have again started bleeding from 25th July ... Could this be my periods or just lochia?
P.S.Also I'm exclusively breastfeeding my baby...
Thank u
Answered by Dr. Soumya 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound examination

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Welcome to healthcare magic.

The bleeding for 30 days is unusual and abnormal.

There is possibility of small bit of placenta remaining behind. The bleeding what you are experiencing now is unlikely to be periods as you are still breast feeding.

I suggest you get ultrasound scan done to check if there is any remaining products of conception left behind. If detected need to be removed immediately.

Please get ultrasound scan done and let me know th report.

Dr. Soumya
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D