What causes pressure behind the earlobes and muffled hearing?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I experience pressure on the sides of my neck right behind my ear lobes. it is very prominent when I sit and lean back against the back of chair, couch..... often then when I stand there is strong pulsing in the back of my neck, dullness in my hearing like its "muffled", sometimes my vision is also spotty. After I stop and bend my neck side to side often the pressure is relieved. My neck has gotten very thick and wide, I am overweight, which I have been working on to lose. I am treated with hypothyroid disease, for roughly the last 10 years, had a swallow study done and it showed nothing. I also have had a heart XXXXXXX 3 months ago when I talked with the cardiologists. I have an appointment tomorrow but whenever I discuss the issues it ends up to be another worthless expensive test. What information am I not relaying to work towards a solution?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Did you get a CT/MRI?

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

I would like to know whether your Hypothyroidism is well controlled or not? Poorly controlled hypothyroidism can cause such symptoms.Other than that, these symptoms can also be explained by Tension type headache. However, 'My neck has gotten very thick and wide' appears not to be fitting in a diagnosis.For the same, a physical examination may help. Concerning your pressure on sides of neck and at the back of neck & spotty vision-if cervical spine X-ray and Brain imaging(CT/MRI) is normal,it should not be anything major.

Hope that helps.If you have follow-up queries,I shall be glad to answer them.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)