Owl Image

What causes premature greying of hair?

Owl Image
Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Question
Hi Doctor,

I am 26 years old and i am literally fed of colouring my hair from last 8-10 years as they became grey.

Now almost half (even more) of my hairs becomes grey and rough as well and i felt colouring was the blunder i did.

I have already consulted my friend who is also a Dermatologist pursuing MD, has suggested to go for Hairbless Tablets and Altris Gel.

Need your expert guidance !!

Some Queries:
1) Reason for premature greying?
2) Will above solution turns grey hairs to black?
3) Treatment duration?
4) Suggested balanced diet?

Thanks & Regards
XXXX
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
I will answer your queries specifically.
1)Causes of premature greying-It is mostly genetic or familial. other causes are nutrtional deficiency, stress, smoking, thyroid disroders, anemias, any chronic illness

2) The treatment suggested by your friend is satisfactory. Hairbless contains all the vital nutrients required for hair growth. Altris gel is melitane based gel and is found to prevent premature graying and also turns the grey hair black. However these medicines usually work better in people who are adoloscent. But still you need to use these medicines as it would offer you some benefit.It wont turn your grey hair black but may prevent further graying of hair. However do not expect immediate response, the treatment needs to be continued for long.
3) duration - long. Need to continue for may be an year or more.
4) take diet rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals .Stress on milk,curd, broccolli, carrots, cabbage,nuts( sunflower seeds, almonds, walnuts), fruits, leafy vegetables
Avoid stress, avoid smoking, exercise regularly.
Hope this answered your query.

Follow-up: What causes premature greying of hair? 3 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your instant reply !!

I have 3 more queries:

1) Procedure for applying Altris Gel ? Is it require to go bald ?
2) With treatment, can i continue using hair colour (garnier/loreal) to hide my grey hairs ?
3) Which shampoo you suggest for proper nourishment and conditioning of hairs and how frequently to use, since i dont have any problem of hair loss or dandruff, the greying hairs is only nostalgia.

Warm Regards
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
Here are the answers to your queries.
1) Altris gel has to be applied over scalp once daily. You can even use it in wet hair. No you do not need to go bald.
2)Yes, you may continue with hair color.
3) Use any good brand shampoo like loreal,tressme, schwartzkopf. Also you may use mild medicated shampoos like triclenz/xgain/klinique hair shampoo. use it two to three times per week
Hope this answered your query.