What causes poor concentration, memory and judgement issues while on Synthroid?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Greetings,
I find myself making poor decisions in the past year. For the past 10 years, I find that I loose focus in conversations, and meetings; my mind wanders. When I speak, the message is distorted or unclear that I have to slow down and analyze my message before I speak. I am frequently at a lost for words and not quick in response. I miss details in my quality of work. I am frequently fatigued when I arrive home from work. I have controlled Type II DM and taking synthroid.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take steps as advised and get investigated

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Poor concentration, memory and judgement in diabetes may be due to small vessel atherosclerosis and brain atrophy or vitamin B 12 deficiency. Hypothyroidism is another cause for memory issues.
You need to get investigated for vitamin B 12 levels, repeat Thyroid profile if not done for 6 months, renal and liver function test, lipid profile.
At present you can add multivitamins and calcium supplements along with other medications.
Provide other details and reports if available.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj