• question-icon

What causes persistent pain in the right knee?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: My wife has been having pain in her right knee since 4-5 months ,she developed this after she started doing exercises like squads,before that she had a problem of cramps in her calfs or cramps in her toes,where her calfs would become as hard as stone and would hurt,mostly in the night and that also in winter?
Could it be dvt?she was bedridden for 45 days about 10 years back!
She also had severe pain in the same knee sitting on 3.5 hour flight!!
Please suggest or guide what could it be!!i am traveling at the moment and not in india!
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello. It doesnot look like dvt

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through the details. So definitely, prolonged bedrest js a risk factor for deep vein thrombosis but it should occur immediately after bedrest and not after 10years. By history, it looks like only muscular spasm. She will only require adequate fluids, electrolyte support and physiotherapy.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 40 hours later
Today she developed pain in her left leg!this is below her calf on the side,it is a spot ,looks like a muscle,but particularly a spot!we walked a lot ,could it be a strain or something else!just wanted to rule out dvt in her?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello. It is likely a sprain

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. The symptoms points towards sprain or muscle pull. There is nothing to worry. She just need some rest

Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist