• question-icon

What causes persistent pain in right leg, knee and hip?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: For the past couple of months I have been experiencing pain in my right leg centred in the front of my leg between the knee and hip about half way. It is now causing me to limp and becomes more severe at night when I am lying down. Also some pain in my knee and hip.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible arthritis of the hip joint;take a more potent analgesic as follow

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I am sorry you are going through such a painful situation.

Taking into account the characteristics and the site of the pain you are having and your personal history of arthritis, I can say that the pain you are having is not quite likely due to arthritis of the hip joint; but mostly muscular or infective or even due to any tumor an X-ray of the pelvic area followed by MRI of the upper leg will help in determining it. The inflammation is causing pressure to the nearby nerves, causing the pain.

I advise to:

- please stop the ibuprofen and switch to another analgesic (e.g. ketoprofen, naproxen, paracetamol)
- discuss with your doctor about starting a short course of steroids (as potent anti-inflammatory meds) until improvement

- apply warm compresses locally
- apply analgesic cream locally

- put another pillow between your legs and at your back when lying down to support your vertebral spine
- multivitamins supplementation, especially those containing magnesium, calcium and vit.D can also be helpful

- try not to move your limb during these days until improvement; light massages with essential oils can also help

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 7 hours later
Dr. Sejdini: I am a bit confused as you first say "possible arthritis of the hip joint" and then you follow by saying "the pain is not quite likely due to arthritis of the hip joint". I will ask my doctor on a possible x-ray of my hip and MRI of my leg. I am an active person and walk a lot. Is this something you would advise discontinuing altogether in the hope that it will cause a cessation of the pain?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sorry for the confusion caused

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

I am sorry for the confusion caused by my medical judgment.

Now, what I was trying to say is that we should focus on other causes apart arthritis.

For example, muscle problems, infection or any tumor. As I do not want to run into precipitated conclusions, I recommend to run the recommended examinations and continue with advice as given earlier.

With regards to walking, I advise to take a break and rest more until we find the final diagnosis for a more appropriate treatment. My opinion is that your pain is muscular, and I want to make sure we do not aggravate the pain by minimizing the effects of possible aggravating symptoms.

All the best!
Dr.Albana

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Albana Sejdini