What causes persistent hip pain and constipation?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Pain right hand side body.inside right hip and under rib. Feels like lesion inside pulling. Constipated, exhausted can't lie on that side. Eases when hold it.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Right rib fracture can be there

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and I think most probably you are having right rib fracture. This is causing pain under right rib cage and difficulty in lying down on that side.It is also more during sneezing and coughing. It takes time in healing which can be up to six weeks to three months.
As far as hip pain is concerned it is also due to muscular causes. I would suggest you to get x ray of the hip and rib cage. This will confirm the diagnosis. If there is weak bones on x rays then I would recommend you to take calcium and vitamin D 3 daily.
I hope this answer will be useful for you. let me know if there is any other followup questions. thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 4 days later
My pain isn't on bones it is intestinal.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to get ultrasound

Detailed Answer:
If you think that it is intestinal then I would suggest you to get ultrasound of the abdomen. This will tell us if there is any hernia or lump inside. It is very rare for intestinal problem to cause pain on movement. Usually these diseases causes colicky pain. But I think there is no harm in getting a ultrasound as it is simple non invasive test.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D