Suggest treatment for lower back and hip pain while having degenerative disc disease

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Elderly Problems
Question: I am 83 with degenerative discs and related arthritis in fingers and wrists. Severe low back And hip pain regularly.
Today I woke up with allergy related dizziness and much exaggerated pains in those locations . Is it true that allergies can exaggerate these symptoms? Most doctors I have seen seem to discount allergies as problems for arthritis etc.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergies doesn't give arthritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi mam

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query with diligence. Allergies doesn't give arthritis. But it can give some fatigue feeling and arthralgia.
If you have arthritis in multiple joints then systemic arthritis like rheumatoid arthritis should be ruled out. In such case CRP will be raised in blood and RA factor will be positive in most case.
Degenerative disc problems can make back pain more worse. In such case painkillers wont be helpful with out a muscle relaxant. So I would suggest muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside. This is a prescription drug. You can ask your orthopedician for it.
Physiotherapy like TENs and shortwave diathermy will be beneficial also.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T