What causes persistent dull headaches despite medication?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 14 Feb 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been experiencing a dull head-ache feeling for pass 24 hours that moderates with my usage of ibuprofen, Tylenol and a medication I got from my PCP called Ceftin, for cold symptoms. Cold symptoms are no more, just the dull ache around my eye sockets and inherent light-sensitivity.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
?? Migraine headache more likely than tension headache

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank your for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Headaches lasting that long are either:

+Stress headaches: These type of headaches usually occur due to stress, alcohol, smoking, cold or sinus infections, or types of food or drink, etc. They present with a dull headache (not throbbing), and pressure around the forehead

or

+Migraine headaches: These are more troublesome and are throbbing headaches that occur with symptoms like the headache itself (which is very restricting), sensitivity to light, vision related symptoms (e.g. blurry vision or blind spots in the field of vision), nausea, vomiting, etc.

The dull ache around the eye sockets is more commonly associated with migraine headaches, but can at times be associated with tension headaches as well.

In my opinion the best treatment would be:

+A shot of Phenergan at he ER
+Tablet of Sumatriptan or Propranolol (10 mg) twice daily (prescription drug)

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee