What causes persistent constipation?
works for me now even Linzess, so my doctor said I might need to have part of the colon removed since my colon does not work any more . Will I have regular bowl movement everyday after the surgery , will I have diarreah ? Will it fix my problem ?
Surgery should be last option
Hi and welcome to HCM.
It is hard to define exact problem in your case. Sometimes constipation may be even caused by excessive use if laxatives.
Also some neurologic disorders may cause it as well. you need to do extensive work up including colonoscopy, Anal Manometry and Irigography and then if there is suspicious part of colon that has weakened peristalsis, surgery may be beneficial.
So this should be considered only if your gastroenterologist consider there is no another option.
Surgery may be beneficial and it includes partial resection of colon. However it possible complications and may not lead to improvement if there is wrong indication for it.
Let me know if there's any further doubts.
Wish you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes constipation in pregnancy
- What is the cause and treatment for constipation
- What causes constipation and bloating
- What vitamins cause constipation
- What nutrient deficiency causes constipation
- What causes slimy stools and constipation
- What causes pain in abdomenbelching and constipation
- What can cause constipation
- What causes constipation in toddlers
- Causes of persistent constipation