question-icon

What causes persistent constipation?

Posted on Fri, 13 May 2016
Question: Hi , I have constipation all my life and been using/abusing heavy dosage of laxatives . Now no laxative
works for me now even Linzess, so my doctor said I might need to have part of the colon removed since my colon does not work any more . Will I have regular bowl movement everyday after the surgery , will I have diarreah ? Will it fix my problem ?

Thanks!!

Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Surgery should be last option

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.

It is hard to define exact problem in your case. Sometimes constipation may be even caused by excessive use if laxatives.

Also some neurologic disorders may cause it as well. you need to do extensive work up including colonoscopy, Anal Manometry and Irigography and then if there is suspicious part of colon that has weakened peristalsis, surgery may be beneficial.

So this should be considered only if your gastroenterologist consider there is no another option.

Surgery may be beneficial and it includes partial resection of colon. However it possible complications and may not lead to improvement if there is wrong indication for it.

Let me know if there's any further doubts.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon