• question-icon

What causes persistent chest pain?

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Good morning, I have had chest pain for the last 2 days, the pain comes and goes. The pain feels like hot/ burning popping pain if that makes sense? It is usually located on my right side but does radiate over to the left and into my back. The pain is like something I have never felt before.. it isn't a terrible pain, its bearable but I cant focus on anything else when it is happening. What do you think could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows :

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to gastroesophageal reflux or gastritis.

Other possible causes to consider would be a musculoskeletal pain including costo-chondritis.

Is the pain triggered by deep breathing or body movements? This would indicate possible musculoskeletal pain.

I would recommend trying first an antiacid or omeprazole. If it helps improve your situation, it would indicate possible gastroesophageal reflux or gastritis underlying your complaints. In such case a fibrogastroscopy would be needed.

If this doesn't work,I would recommend trying ibuprofen. If it helps, this would be indivative of musculoskeletal pain. In such case there is nothing to worry about. I would recommend taking ibuprofen three times daily for a short period.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist