What causes persistent abdominal pain?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 8 Dec 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi,

For the last 4 weeks I have had slight pains in my right lower abdomen [appendix area] when having an orgasm. Not really very painful and coming in time with ejaculatory spasms. I don't have any other symptoms afterwards.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A number of causes

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns , however the symptoms you are experiencing could be due to a number of causes .. The most common of which is prostatitis which manifests by lower abdominal pain during ejacualation or having an orgasm or blood in urine and/or semen, disorders of urination as drippling or difficulty in starting urination.
Another cause could be epididymitis which is possibly due to sexually transmitted diseases as clamydia or gonorrhea.. This can be accompanied with some or all of the following symptoms : low-grade fever ,chills, pain in the pelvic area, pressure in the testicles, pain and tenderness in the testicles
, redness and warmth in the scrotum, enlarged lymph nodes in the groin, pain during sexual intercourse and ejaculation, pain during urination or bowel movements, urgent and frequent urination
abnormal penile discharge, blood in the semen..
Another possible cause is orchitis which is manifested by swollen , red and warm scrotum together with possible painful ejacualation ..
I would recommend that you get :
1) a urine analysis to either exclude or confirm the presence of an infection
2) blood tests for sexually transmitted disease to either exclude or confirm stds as a possible cause of epididymitis
3) an ultrasound pelvis to either exclude or confirm prostatitis
if all the above causes are excluded then the cause might be spams of pelvic floor muscles that will require Physiotherapy.
I hope I answered your question . if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 47 minutes later
Dear Dr Salah Shoman,

Thank you very much for your advice.

Would the urine analysis to either exclude or confirm the presence of a prostatitis infection ?

Should I just ask for tests for clamydia and gonorrhea?

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urine analysis is only suggestive

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, a urine analysis will be only suggestive of the presence of an infection ( by the elevation of number of pus cells and presence of bacterial cells )
or suggestive of the presence of prostatitis by the elevation of the number of blood cells ) .
if the urine analysis suggests the presence of infection then a urine culture is required to determine which type of infection is present and preferably accompanied with a sensitivity test to determine which antibiotic is best for you..
if the urine analysis is suggestive of prostatitis then an ultrasound pelvis is required to confirm the diagnosis . I hope you find this helpful ..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 29 minutes later
Very helpful thank you
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, you are welcome , it has been a pleasure helping you.. If you don't have further clarifications then please close the discussion and rate the answer. kind regards