• question-icon

What causes peripheral neuropathy in a borderline diabetic?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been diagnosed with diabetic peripheral neurophrothy in both of my feet, yet when they told me I was a Type2 diabetic and began checking my sugar levels they have come back consistently at 5.5 to 6.0 for the last seven years. I am on no medication for it whatsoever. Is there another cause for this disease?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Prediabetes status, and other possible causes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns.

Since your A1c levels are below 6.5 then you are not a diabetic, but you have a condition that is called prediabetes.

Prediabetes can progress into type 2 diabetes if a healthy life style is not followed. Prediabetes can also cause diabetic neuropathy due to impaired glycemic control. You should avoid refined wheat products and focus on vegetables, fruits and whole grains as oats. Also, you should exercise at least 3 times a week even by simple walking.

You may get benefitted by adding medications i.e. Metformin to help the glycemic control and decrease the neuropathy symptoms.

Vitamin B-12 levels should also be checked along with, and if found deficient, then adequate supplements can help relieve these neuropathic symptoms.

I hope I answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 4 hours later
My sugar levels were actually on the low side for many years. The damage could not have been caused then. My B12 levels are normal. I just don't understand what could have caused the neuroprothy. They will not put me on Metformin or any other diabetic medication because it would lower the sugar levels too much. I do exercise and follow a diet limited in carbs. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Other possible causes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, since your blood sugar levels are within normal levels and your vitamin B12 is also normal, then I recommend that you check the levels of vitamin B-1, B-6, and Niacin levels as their deficiencies may cause peripheral neuropathy too.

Also, other notable possible causes are Lyme disease, EBV infection.

Please discuss these with your doctor.

I hope you find this helpful.

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman