What causes passing of gas from urinary bladder?

Dr. Rishi

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Lump
Question: I have a UTI which is clearing up ater 2 weeks - I feel much better - but I do have some worries I might have a colovesical fistula. I get some gas from bladder and also what might be feces in the mornings - then it ends in the afternoon.
Everyone thinks this will clear when the UTI is cured --- any thoughts? Am I just being paronoid - reading to much on the internet?
Answered by Dr. Rishi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see a Urologist and get relevant investigations done.

Detailed Answer:
UTIs usually clear up in 2 to 4 weeks but are usually quite relentless.
They almost always take a lot of time to get resolved.
But gas in urine is never normal.
If you are experiencing gas in Urine I suggest you get it investigated.
You should see a Urologist who can examine you.
The investigation required would be Contrast study by injecting contrast into the bladder and see for spillage into the intestines. If negative the same can be repeated by injecting XXXXXXX into the rectum and repeating the XRay study. This should clarify if there is a fistula or not. MRI can also be helpful in diagnosing the same.
I suggest you consult a Urologist who can advice you in detail.
But continue the antibiotics for a complete three to four weeks so that the infection can get cleared completely.
Take care,
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Rishi 14 minutes later
Can a fistula close on its own in an otherwise healthy person once the uti clears completely?
Answered by Dr. Rishi 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is less sommon for it close spontaneously.

Detailed Answer:
That is a possibility, but it is less common for it to close.
Mostly it would remain patent even after the clearance of the infection.
But I also do feel that you do not have a Colovesical fistula.
The disturbing symptom is the gas in urine, therefore I am suggesting you to get investigated. Do not worry. I am sure you would be fine,
Take care,
Dr Rishi,
New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Rishi 5 hours later
Thank you - can you say why you think I dont have a fistula
Answered by Dr. Rishi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can get a CT Scan done to rule it out.

Detailed Answer:
I doubt that you have a Colovesical fistula because of multiple reasons.
Firstly, these fistulas are rarely due to bladder infection. Rather, the cause is almost always in the intestine. Mostly it is because of Diverticulitis of Colon. Secondly, the infection in bladder has to be severe and often recurrent to cause such a grave complication. Therefore, I still feel you do not have a Colovesical fistula.
Even if you do, many patients do well without Surgery and can be managed conservatively without much problems.
The easiest way to diagnose it would be a CT Scan of the Abdomen/ Pelvis.
You could get it done and send us the report.
It could easily rule out a Colovesical fistula by ruling out gas in the bladder.
Take care,
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Rishi 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX What an excellent answer. I appreciate your detail.

Is it possible the gas is from the bacteria that is part of the infection? -- I've only had this gas type pee 3 times in the last week - and I have pee'd as you can imagine hundreds of times.. As for the mornings when I pass urine that appears like it has feces - it too might be just from infection? This is my first UTI and as a male it is always strange to have things other than pee come out. The pee-ing with debris is decreasing each day and I feel a bit better each day - almost normal (I'm on day 6 of 10 on Cipro). My big hope is the grave symptoms of gas and the morning brownish urination's completely go away.
Answered by Dr. Rishi 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is probably due to infection only and not fistula.

Detailed Answer:
Gas from bacteria is extremely rare as gas forming organisms leading to UTI are quite uncommon but not impossible.
As for the solid pieces, they could probably be epithelium being denuded from the bladder mucosa.
It is good to know that the situation is improving and probably you do not have the colovesical fistula as you donot really fit the profile of such a patient.
I suggest you continue the medicine religiously for another 15 days to complete a three week course and then see your condition. UTIs are difficult to treat and please do not stop the medicines early. Its a winning combination and we will loose any advantage we have had if you stop the medicine prematurely.
Take care and all the best.
Dr Rishi.