What causes painless lump below ear and pain in vicinity of ear?

Dr. Dipti Singh

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 10 Jun 2014 in Dental Health
Question: Hi,
I have a painless, hard lump directly below my left ear. It is behind my upper jaw line. The lump seems to be increasing in size and painless. I due have mild but constant pain in my right ear vicinity but no sore throat. I assumed I had an ear infection. Additionally, my ear becomes quite painless when I sleep on my left side. About 11/2 months ago, I saw my dentist because I had a sore on the inside cheek area of my mouth which was quite painful. I was also have some slight pain/sensitivity and my "bite" felt different - almost as if something was lodged in my teeth. I thought the sore had healed; however, my dentist could still see it. He strongly recommended I consult with an oral surgeon which I have yet to do. I do grind and can hear increased, moderate "popping/clicking in that particular ear (left). I have night sweats on occasion, severe itching in my legs and feet which cause me to wake, to scratch. I've checked other areas of my body and have discovered "cyst-like" lumps. I have unexplained bruises in various areas of my body. I am extremely fatigued everyday and very nauseous most of the time, especially, in the morning (I am NOT pregnant). Do you recommend an oral surgeon or should I just ride it out?
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a jaw joint problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, XXXXXXX
Thank you for consulting with HCM.
This is Dr. Dipti Singh here to answer your query.

The type of symptoms you are mentioning, that you have a painless lump below your ear, and pain in vicinity of ear with also clicking sound in ear, it looks that you might have a temporomandibular joint problem , actually it is a jaw joint which is responsible for opening and closing of mouth and it is situated in front of the ear only, so when there is pain in it you will feel pain in ear and clicking, and because of it only there is swelling of lymph node.
So it will be better for you that you should consult an Oral Surgeon as he will take an X-Ray of the jaw joint and even examine the soreness of cheek after that go for the treatment.

Even for this lumps and Bruises you can consult a good dermatologist.

Hope it will help you.
Thank You
Dr. Dipti Singh.