What causes pain while urination and painful sex?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Over the past year to year and a half I have seen this one CSW a few times. I have performed oral on her probably 5-6 times and I have fingered her on these occasions. We have always had protected vaginal sex. She has never performed oral on me. On one other occasion about 3 months ago I went to a massage parlor and had hand job from a worker and fingered her briefly. A few months ago, my wife started having trouble urinating. He goes frequently and she says there is pain/discomfort. Many times she has trouble with the flow and it barely comes out. Earlier this week we has sex and she said it hurt her some. She has never said that before. She has never had any odor or discharge that I am aware of or that she has ever mentioned. Just some pain this one time. 3 years ago she had some urinary issues and was told by a Urologist they thought she had IC. She has assumed that shs is having another re-occurance of this, which happened about 18 month's ago briefly. Her last OB exam about 18 month's ago came back as everything good. I went around 3 month's ago and was tested for Chlamydia/Gonn and was Neg (Urine Test-no throat swab) after talking to a Dr about what I has been doing and they felt that these are what I should be tested for as a precaution, but told me that I should expect them to be negative. I various health check-ups over the years I have had STD testing done just as a pre-caution and to make sure nothing was there that I was not aware of and they have always come back negative. Prior to this I had a sinus infection and took Z-pack and on an occasion prior to that was given Bactrine after having a cist drained. My question is, what is the likely hood that I may have contracted some STD and passed to her and then it was cleared by the Medication I took. I have been told that these exposures were very low risk and that being even if the woman I was with has something to contract. She has told me on various occasions that she is very careful and checked regularly and has always been negative for everything. I am concerned about the exposure to Chlam/Gonn/Syph/HIV, etc. I do not remember if I ever had any cuts on my fingers or soars in my mouth during these times. If her urinary issues would not be related to an STD, could there still be pain associated with sex for her for something other than an STD? We had not had sex for a few weeks and as we started she was not really lubricated initially and I am wondering if that was more of the pain issue. With her current and past bladder issues, she thinks she may be developing a pro-lapsed bladder. Please let me know your thought and what risks you feel I am at and if I should seek additional testing. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get her investigated and treated.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
Read and re-read.
You are free of STD, your wife was examined by a Gynecologist and found everything is normal. The bladder prolapse would not have been missed by the Gynecologist, so no worry about it and prolapsed bladder does not cause painful sex or that it is a reason for Urinary infection unless there is post-void urine.

Since the females have a small length urethra, they are prone to urinary infections more often and particularly after intercourse with dry vagina or if done after a long gap ( as the vaginal flora changes ).

Yes Her pains during sex may be related to something other than STD. The probable causes can be Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, ovarian or tubal issues like infection. Dryness during the intercourse can be a reason for pain but it will be local one and your wife can always tell you if she gets one because of this.

Her urinary issues are best investigated ; I would advise Her the following.
Blood tests to see if there is an infection- raised WBC count ,
Urine - Routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity.
Ultrasonography by conventional abdominal route and trans-vaginal too.

This will give an idea about the root cause and can be treated accordingly.

If you had all the protected sex till now, your chances of contracting STD are very minimal or not there at all. You can request your Doctor for tests for STD again if you want.

Get a proper treatment for your wife and she will be fine.
No sex till She is cured of her problems.

You will have more risks if you continue to take the services of CWS.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj