What causes pain on the right side of the rib cage?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: pain on right side of rib cage
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information and follow the advise

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit very short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/79 pain on right side of rib cage - not visited a Doctor nor taken any medications...

Please give additional information for me to assist you the best:
Since when has this started?
Which area is exactly affected?
Does the pain increase on deep breathing, coughing or movements?
Any history of a bout of sneezing or coughing or lifting anything heavy before the pain started?

Take a painkiller like Ibuprofen if it suits you.
Limit any movements or activities that instigate or enhance the pain.
If the pain is associated with sweating or feeling of heaviness on the chest, it is obligatory to get an EKG and cardilogical check up in spite the pain is on the right side. Better to- not to miss by chance.

Additional tests like X-ray of the chest for lungs and pleura, ribs.
Clinical evaluation and an actual examination by a Doctor for a proper diagnosis and management is always better.

I hope this answer helps you.
Awaiting for your feedback.
Please feel free to ask for further queries if you feel that there ia gap of communication.

With regards.