What causes pain on the left side of the stomach?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am 35 male. 6ft and 240lbs. for the last week I have been having a pain on the left side of my stomach. About 6 inches from belly button. it is a local pain and does not affect the entire stomach. It is like a small circle of pain. Sometimes gets worst when I move around. If move around a lot it will get worst. If I eat or pass gas it's gets better. If I am hungry it is worst. I have no other symptoms but this. My stool is normal and no blood. I do take prilosec daily for stomac acid. I am not sure if this is a muscle pain or a stomach problem. what do you think
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Based on the information symptom might be due to gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome
I have gone through your query
And based on the information I feel the pain which you are experiencing is more likely to be due to gastritis.
As you are already taking acid reducing agent,
Apart from the medication -- I would recommend you to go for this measures which will be helpful.
Avoid spicy and oily food for few days till the symptoms are resolved. Avoid or reduce the intake of meat, dairy products, and add more fiber to your diet. Eat lots of salads, vegetables, fresh fruits. Avoid fried and oily food.

Avoid excess consumption of tea/ coffee/ hydrogenated drinks. Avoid smoking and alcohol, if any.

Eat frequent small meals instead of heavy ones and do not starve. Take plenty of water.

Regular exercise is very much essential. Brisk walk every day for 30 minutes in the morning and then slowly increase the dura if time permits. Follow this measures your symptoms should reduce.

Hope this helps, I'll be glad to address your further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng