What causes pain in the rib cage?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I had pain in my right breast when I laid down to bed at 10 pm. I had recently had a follow up mammogram and ultra-sound, which came out with a good report and no reoccurrence of any cancer (.5cm cancer: left breast removed in 2015). I thought the pain was related to that since the technician pressed very hard with the ultrasound device, although no pain followed for several days. This particular pain is so great that I could not find a place to rest, then it started to radiate to under the arm, then the shoulder blade, and up the side of the spine. Getting up, helps...and the pain diminishes, but as soon as I lay down....it is hard to ignore the pain. I thought to drive to myself to the emergency, as it is only three miles away... but since it improved, I thought I would see what I could find out on the computer. (I am 77 and it is 2:15 am.) When the pain is great, on the upper right side is was harder to expand my lungs on that side. Right now it is greatly improved by sitting up, and there is only a slight pain near rib cage. I have no retention of water so I thought it was not a kidney stone---although it was the only thing on your list that might have fit. I live alone and can cope wit things as they come.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take medical help for further follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking in HCM

I have gone through your concern and i am going to give you some more info hoping to help you.
According to the history you have already done a follow up mammogram and ultra-sound,and the breast problems are excluded.
Now for that kind of pain it should be evaluated the lungs and to do some further tests:
Hemogram
CRP
Chest X ray (or a computed tomography of the chest if it will be needed)

If the above tests comes negative the next step would be excluding the problems of gastrointestinal tract which means stomach and gall bladder.For this may be to do:

An abdominal ultrasound
Fibrogastoscopy

If they come negative too the next to exclude are rheumatologic problems may it is a chostocondritis the cause of this pain.

So i would advice you to consult your doctor and for sure he will suggest you the above tests and according to the results the relevant specialists will follow up you further.

So take care

Wish you a fast recovery

Feel free to ask me again

DR.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana