• question-icon

What causes pain in the left shoulder blade?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: July 4: Female, age 77, has severe pain in left shoulder blade area. Pain is soothed and partially relieved by heat. July 7: Was diagnosed with brusitis and treated with steroid dexamethasone sod phospate 8 ml injection. This offered relief within 4 hours. Also presctibed Ultram 50 mg. A day later (24 hours) pain and extreme discomfort returned, July 9: Diagnosis: muscle spasims prescribed zanaflex 4 mg, and Tylenol 325 mg. and physical therapy. Therapist can only touch her lightly. She has two pimple like spots one on the left shoulder blade, and one on the right shoulderblade. extreme pain to touch, She has had shingles in 1978. She has had the shingles shot withid last year.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not shingles!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed her information fully. This pain cannot be shingles because it is very are to see a shingle related rash attack both sides of the body. Shingle rash always affect a single area and that is often well circumscribed following the nerve distribution. No nerve crosses the mid line and that is why shingles will not cross the mid line either. I lean more towards bursitis: The symptoms and the response to treatment.

Keep me updated on this. I wish her well.

Dr. Ivo Ditah