What causes pain in the left heel for a month?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 1 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, I have had pain in my left heel for a month or so now, and for the past week I have also experienced 'hot flashes' on the sole of that foot – and am just wondering what it could be. [History: meningial encephalitis, brain tumor in left frontal lobe (craniotomy in Dec. 2013; doing great!). Am fairly active; eat well; etc., though recently moved and have been under constant medical and financial stress for 4+ years. Am trying to finally begin my life – writing a book – was a Fulbright scholar, NSF graduate fellow, etc., before becoming brainless and mentally incoherent/temporary blindness/no balance, etc., for a quarter of a century; am fairly high functioning again thanks to good old neuroplasticity! Have not started driving or running again yet, but do a lot of long-distance walking.] And REALLY want to be healthy again, so overlooked the pain and numbness in my heel, but with the added heatwaves on the bottom of my foot I thought I'd inquire.

Thanks so very much for your thoughts!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Plantar fasciitis likely.

Detailed Answer:
From your symptoms, it seems that you are suffering from plantar fasciitis. It happens due to inflammation of the plantar fascia.
A short term rest and oral anti inflammatory drugs are required to take care of the inflammation.
To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.

A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the biomechanical problems and reduces pain.
Taking methylcobalamin supplements will also help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal