What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Sep 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: A 35 year old female presented with right facial weakness for 5-6 months, and reduced hearing in right ear for 4-5 months. She also noticed gait and truncal ataxia 4-5 months before presentation. On examinationby MRI , it was found to be Right CP angle Meningioma (Closed DD – Schwannoma) and the patient underwent Craniotomy on 20.05.2017 at Appollo Hospital XXXXXXX . After one month of post surgery medication , again the doctor was consulted on 19.06.2017 . The doctor prescribed medicine for another 30 days . Complains still persisting : The ataxia continued i.e the loss of full control of bodily movements. Not able to walk properly , Right hand and right leg trembling/shaking , Unable to swallow , water comes out of nose , coughs , getting irritated frequently .
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Visit to another neurosurgeon for a second opinion

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
I have reviewed all attached reports and prescription.
The initial tumor was large in size with extension, involvement of multiple cranial nerves and compression of brainstem.
The operation done was not able to remove all the tumor as indicated by follow up imaging postoperatively.
Also due to large size, some permanent damage occurs to neural tissue.
The recovery may be slow and incomplete.
An opinion from a neurosurgeon is required regarding further surgery.
The medications are good according to present status.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 14 minutes later
What further treatment and which Hospital or Surgeon we should get our treatment from ? Should we go consult the same surgeon ? As suggested by Neurologist Dr A K Sahani (report attached) should we directly contact a Gamma Knife surgeon ?

Also " what is the approximate cost of gamma knife surgery and what is the best hospital for the same"
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take consultation as advised

Detailed Answer:
Visit to another neurosurgeon or gamma knife surgeon.
You can go to New XXXXXXX or XXXXXXX or XXXXXXX and consult in corporate hospitals like Apollo or Gangaram hospital.
The cost will be well explained by the surgeon.
May range from 5 to 10 lakhs.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj