What causes pain in the back and hamstring area?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Back Pain
Question: My husband is having bad back pain and continued pain in his right Hamstring area. He describes the pain in his hamstring as a constant leg cramp. The pain in his back is lower and much worse at night. He has been icing both and it seams to help for a short time but he has gone weeks without sleep and for him to say it is bad means it is really bad.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be muscle strain or spondylosis.

Detailed Answer:
The pain of the lower side of the back can be due to-
1. Lumbar muscle strain- due to tear or pull of muscle fibres.
2. Lumbar disc herniation, sciatica, etc.
3. Arthritis or ankylosing spondylosis.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal