What causes pain in right upper abdomen?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have pain in my right upper side since yesterday. It hurts when I move or breath too deeply. I have had a bad cough for the past week or so but cough is better but now have this pain. Usually very healthy. 60 year old woman
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to get done chest x ray first.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
In my opinion, we should first rule out lung infection.
You are having pleuritic pain (pain on breathing, coughing).
And lung infection is the most common cause for pleuritic pain.
So first get done chest x ray. If chest x ray is normal then no need to worry for lung infection.
Another possibility is musculoskeletal pain.
So avoid movements causing pain. Avoid bad postures in sleep. Avoid heavyweight lifting and strenuous exercise. Apply warm water pad on affected areas. Take painkiller like ibuprofen.
Don't worry, you will be alright.
Please let me know
1. Do you have fever?
2. Do you smoke?
Please reply to me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 49 minutes later
No I don't have a fever and my cough is even better. I haven't smoked for 29 years. Thank you doctor
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of musculoskeletal pain is more.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Since your coughing is improving and you are not having fever, musculoskeletal pain is more likely.
So follow advices given in previous answer for 1 week.
If after 1 week, you still feel pain then get done chest x ray to rule out lung pathology like lung infection.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar. Wish you good health. Thanks.