What causes pain in rectum?

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have been having pain in my rectum and also pain in the buttocks. The pain around the anus is sore as well. I have IBS and have had hemorrhoids in the past. Never had pain with the hemorrhoids before. This has been going on for about 2 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be an abscess or fissure.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

The pain in that region could be either due to an abscess or a fissure.

If you are passing hard stools, then the possibility of fissure is more.

In abscess, there could be a painful swelling felt, and may cause fever in later stage.

But these conditions will need a clinical examination for confirmation. And management of both is different, with the abscess requiring emergency surgical drainage.

So I would suggest that you show to a surgeon for a clinical examination and further management.

Hope I have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari