What causes pain in prostrate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am having a dull aching pain in the area of my prostrate what are the likely causes. Could it be exercise related or get my pas checked. I exercise rigorously most days.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to Prostatitis,

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have pain in perineum .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have any urinary symptoms like frequency,urgency, burning urination associated with pain in perineum?

This could be mostly due to infection of Prostate (Prostatitis).

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Routine urine test and urine culture find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.
2) Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Trans Rectal Ultrasound Scanning
4) Serum PSA.
5) Culture and sensitivity of urethral discharge collected after prostatic massage

In the mean while take take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefexine along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and anti inflammatory medicine like Diclofenac twice daily .Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Further treatment will be decided by concerned Urologist that will depend upon results of these tests and final diagnosis .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju