Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes pain in prostrate?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9622 Questions
I am having a dull aching pain in the area of my prostrate what are the likely causes. Could it be exercise related or get my pas checked. I exercise rigorously most days.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to Prostatitis,

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have pain in perineum .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have any urinary symptoms like frequency,urgency, burning urination associated with pain in perineum?

This could be mostly due to infection of Prostate (Prostatitis).

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Routine urine test and urine culture find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.
2) Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Trans Rectal Ultrasound Scanning
4) Serum PSA.
5) Culture and sensitivity of urethral discharge collected after prostatic massage

In the mean while take take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefexine along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and anti inflammatory medicine like Diclofenac twice daily .Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Further treatment will be decided by concerned Urologist that will depend upon results of these tests and final diagnosis .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor