What causes pain in left lower abdomen and groin area?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I am having bad pain in my left side right around my left ovary and I am almost 17 days late from starting my period . I am very tired all of the time and in alot of pain . Not sure what's going on but I don't want to pay thousands of dollars for them to tell me it's nothing and that I need to go home . Any help ?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be PID or ectopic preganncy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Pain in the let lower abdomen and groin in a young female could be due to -
1) Pelvic inflammatory disease - Imaging could be normal and you may have leukorrhoea.
2) Urinary tract infection - may have associated dysuria and frequency
3) Tubo-ovarian pathologies - are usually visible on imaging studies unless it is a transient problem like torsion
4) Ectopic pregnancy- needs to be ruled out as your periods are overdue.
Discuss with your GP and get a good examination and some basic investigations done to sort out the issue.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN