What causes nausea, chills, frequent urination and lower left back pain?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have been ill for the past few days; began with slight nausea, chills, continuous urge to urinate. I am much better today but now have a sharp pain in my lower left back. Is there anything to be concerned about?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs to rule out Kidney stone .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted fever with chills ,nausea and urge to pass urine associated with pain in lower back that you have is mostly due to Stone either in Kidney or Ureter and needs to get investigated .

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis

In the mean while start taking broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water to keep urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Dr.Patil.