What causes pain in hands while sleeping?

Question
My hands are curling up in pain while I sleep . I wake up to the pain and have to unroll my fingers.
What is causing this?
I have pain flares in my limbs as we'll.
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Pain Management

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rheumatological/Neurological, Multifactorial

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Curling and painful fingers / stiff fingers at night is a classic presentation of a carpel tunnel syndrome. Age related osteoarthritis and Vascular insufficiencies and neurological compressions can also be the possibilities. neuropathies like nutritional neuropathies and B12 deficiencies etc are also some possibilities . DIabetic and neurological assessment also worth assessment. Stiffness of the carpo metacarpal joint specify the likelihood of osteoarthritis.
Now that you mentioned limbs involvement too, i believe it is age related osteoarthritis. A complete assessment of rheumatological profile is needed to be assessed here.
people with carpal tunnel syndrome first notice that their fingers "fall asleep" and become numb at night. The reason they may experience symptoms at night may be the relaxed flexed position of the hand and wrist while sleeping, or the accumulation of fluid that may put pressure around the joint. They often wake up with numbness and tingling in their hands. The feeling of burning pain and numbness may generally run up the center of the person's forearm, sometimes as far as the shoulder. Carpal tunnel syndrome may be temporary and resolve by itself or become persistent and worsen over time
In nutshell, multiple possibilities from rheumatological to neurological etiologies need to be addressed.Alot of labs and work up is needed here with a detaile clinical correlation for further management. Seek a rheumatologist for further management
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.
may the odds be ever in your favour.
Khan