• question-icon

What causes pain below sternum along with vomiting?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My wife has pain bellow the sternum and back and is vomiting.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

This type of collection of symptoms sounds like she might be dealing with gastroesophageal reflux or possibly an ulcer in the lower part of her esophagus or upper part of the stomach.

Acid reflux can typically cause discomfort just below the sternum. This can sometimes radiate to the back as well. A couple things you can do to alleviate the symptoms include over-the-counter antacids medications such as Prilosec or Pepcid. You could also have her try some liquid Maalox which will help to coat and suit the affected area.

If symptoms of pain persist or worsen with increasing severity then I think you should take her to see her primary care physician for a focus consultation come up physical examination and for the recommendations.

Again from the symptoms you have described this does sound like she has indigestion and possibly an ulcer which should respond to the over-the-counter medications mentioned above.

Thank you again for sending your question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist