• question-icon

What causes pain at the bottom of the right foot?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Pain Management
Question: I am having pain in the bottom outside of my right foot. It seems to get worse when I am resting it. There is no swelling or bruising.
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
some thoughts.

Detailed Answer:
this is REALLY easily diagnosed with examination but tricky otherwise.

Several features of pain can be helpful in clarifying what is going on and the next steps for diagnosis and treatment.

Type of pain. Burning mostly means a nerve is having problems. This can be either a sick nerve or a nerve that has had an injury. Electrical, shooting would be others implying nerve source for pain. of course the usual ache is the usual muscles and tendons

Location of pain. There is a lot to this. First, if something goes in the pathway of a nerve, then that is the nerve involved. Nerves are long and the pain is in a belt-like long pathway. Smaller areas are smaller nerves. This also tends to say what might be going on. Obviously if there was an injury to the area and then there was pain outward from it "hit a nerve" would be a possibility. Sick nerves are MULTIPLE areas and tends to be the TIPS of the nerve not the whole nerve.

And particular areas are known to have particular structures prone to particular problems. The arch of the foot is made out of tendons. These can get stretched and irritated. Aspirin-like drugs, rest, perhaps icing are helpful in the immediate period, and changes in footware, stretching and other physical therapy are useful as long term treatments/preventions.
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist