• question-icon

What causes pain around the rib cage while coughing?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi. I have been coughing for 2 weeks and now the area around my rib cage is swollen and hurts whenever I cough.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is to stop coughing

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The hurting rib cage is most probably due to excessive coughing.

I can see that you have taken antibiotics. Unfortunately antibiotic resolve infection but may not help with the coughing.

I would like to know whether the cough is associated with mucous or not. Accordingly a cough syrup can be suggested. Also let me know any other relevant details like thickness of mucous, fever, any other medicine use etc.

Waiting for your reply.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Vaishalee Punj