• question-icon

What causes pain and swelling in the knees?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Yes, On the 23rd of XXXXXXX I took a hard fall onto my left knee. It has stayed swollen and it's like there is a bubble of fluid on it. I have had it drained and gotten a steroid shot and it's not improving. I can't touch the kneecap without severe pain, almost a burning. Flexion is limited, extension is normal. It is also VERY tender on the inside of the knee. Is this just a severe bone contusion or a possible other type of injury. I came down onto the knee cap I think. My head went through the wall of my bedroom so I'm not sure if I twisted the knee or not.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI would show or rule out damage in soft tissues of the knee.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

From what you are describing me, it seems like there is still a lot of fluid under your knee cap. The limitation in flexion is an indication of it. The bigger is the amount of fluid, the longer it will take for the fluid to absorb. Unless you do and remove it again. That would decrease the pain, and give chances to the knee to get better sooner.

The only way to know if there is any other damage that what the X-ray showed, is to consider doing an MRI. It will show clearly if there is any ligament, meniscus or tendon damage. The X-Ray would show only bone fractures.

So my suggestion is that since it has been almost one month, and your knee is still accumulating fluid. if it is possible, please consider doing an MRI.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 30 minutes later
I will ask my doctor for a referral. When we tried pulling fluid off there was none. It's odd because of the fluid bubble on top of the knee. Thank you for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to have been of help

Detailed Answer:

Glad to have been of help.

Feel free to follow up with me after the result of the MRI.

Dr. Papaqako
Dr. Klarida Papaqako