• question-icon

What causes pain and sensitivity to sound while on Augmentin?

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Yes I am currently on day 3 of taking Prednisone and Augmentin for what the ER Dr thinks is an inner ear issue. Buzzing, pain and fullness in my left ear. However, after day three I am not feeling any relief. My side effects are anxiousness, sleepliness, sensitivity to sound, fuzzy head. I can't tell which drug is causing this. Thinking I should stop the Augmentin.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible diagnosis:Labrynthitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you fortrusting HealthcareMagic

Your symptoms are suggestive of Labrynthitis,which is the inflammation of inner ear.
It is usually caused by viral infwctiln.However, sometimes there will be associated middle ear infection, in which case bacteria can cause labrynthitis. In such cases treatment with antibiotics is necessary.
Since you are on day 3 of Augmentin and there is no decrease in symptoms, the recommended treatment regimen is to add cephasporin antibiotics like ceftriaxone to Augmentin.
You should not discontinue Augmentin, as Augmentin is not the cause for your symptoms.

You can also take antihistamine like Hydroxyzine to help relieve fussy head and sleeplessness.

Please be advised to follow up with your treating physician to add ceftriaxone to the current treatment .

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal