What causes pain and numbness in between chin and lower lip?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Dental Health
Question: I had an accident in XXXXXXX 2016 and got multiple fractures on face. I was operated by adding metal plates on both sides of lower jaw. Its been about 7.5 months and I still feel a bit of pain when I touch the area between chin and lower lip. Sensation in this area is a bit less and I also feel a bit of swelling if I rub this area. I consulted the doctor who did the operation initially and he suggested just to wait because sometime the nerve serving sensation to the lower jaw area gets impacted because of accident and takes time to recover. But I want to take opinion from a doctor who is specialist for this area, may be related to teeth or nerve system. I am attaching the OPG which was done after few days of operation.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should wait and watch..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern..

As per your complain and also evaluating your OPG attached, it is true that due to injury and extensive surgical treatment the terminal nerve endings gets traumatised and it takes a long time to the nerve regeneration..

As the sensations are not completely lost therefore the chance if recovery are high..
The medication that is advised to you that is Neurobion which is Vitamin B complex supplement is appropriate in this case as it helps in nerve repair and regeneration..

You should also do alternate warm and cool compresses over the numb areas for faster recovery of the sensations..

Avoid rubbing the area again and again as it can make the area sore and painful..

Any further queries are welcome..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 4 hours later
Thanks for detailed response. I really appreciate it. Wanted to ask for how long I should do the warm and cold compresses and hiw to do that. Any online link suggested will also be of great help. Thanks again.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome back..

As per your query you can soak a wash cloth in hot water and place on the numb area and keep it till it cools.
After sometime soak a wash cloth in cold water and place it bon nimb area and keep it till it warms..

Repeat it 3 to 4 times a day..

You can follow for atleast 15 days and see for difference..
If improves continue further..

Hope this helps..
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T