What causes over active salivary glands and tingling mouth?

ENT Specialist
Question
My salivary glands are very overactive and my mouth seems to tingle constantly. It goes away during sleeo but once I eat something for the first time during the day; the tingling and overactive salivation commence with a feeling of being thirsty. I am not on any medications.
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to dehydration.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for posting the query

The symptoms described by you are due to blockage of the salivary glands. This is common in those individuals who consume less water. When there is dehydration, the secretions of the salivary glands get thickened and hence block the duct. During eating, the production of the salivary secretions increases, thus trying to wash off the blocked secretions. This gives the sensation of tingling in the mouth.

The same is not noticed in the night because there is no stimulation of the salivary glands.
My sincere advice to you is to drink plenty of warm water. Avoid chilled food and beverages/coffee/fizzy drinks/smoking. If symptoms persist, consult your doctor for a complete examination of the oral cavity.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon