What causes numbness in the finger tips?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi doctor. I wont get a chance to see a neurologist for a while. Is there any chance my symptoms are peripharal neuropathy or something like that? Is it possible also its the result of another dosease? Please let me know. I also experiance numbness in fingernails now.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Demyelinating disorders may result in peripheral neuropathy too.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for the direct question.

Peripheral neuropathy is dysfunction of one or more peripheral nerves that may result in various sensory disturbances, pain, muscles weakness, vasomotor symptoms, all these alone or in combination.

So, since symptoms of peripheral neuropathy are variable, it could be a possible explanation in your case.

The mechanisms that cause peripheral neuropathy could be metabolic or demyelinating (often autoimmune disorders).

However, medical examination and diagnostic tests (nerve conduction study, EMG, blood tests about autoimmune disorders, thyroid function etc.) are necessary to achieve a correct diagnosis.

Numbness in fingernails may also be a subjective sensory disturbance, so, it necessary to be evaluated by a Doctor.

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 9 hours later
Hi doctor thank you. I am also now experiancing dryness in the mouth and nose and a hard time beeathing in the nose but I am not congested and burning sesation at the back of the head. Please advise if you can. I will also ask a GP.
Brief Answer:
Upper respiratory infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for being on follow up.

Allergies or viral infections for example may affect your upper respiratory ways and could cause similar symptoms.

If you can, you should get evaluated by your GP about these new symptoms, treatment and can discuss also about before mentioned issues.

Hope I helped you so far.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 4 days later
I would like to show you a CT scan done some time ago but cannot seemto attach it here. Perhaps if you respond and I attach it in the app? It relates to all my questions to you.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can post photos here or you can upload it as a file.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Normally there should be an option on the page where you can upload various photos, including those of a CT scan taken from a screen for example. You'll find it on the right side of this web-page as reports section.

Other way you can save the DICOM images of the CT scan as a file on your desktop, upload the file on google drive, or Dropbox and post the link here.

Awaiting....

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Hi doctor here is a preview. Thank you for your answer. These are from a place and the previews I took pictures of. I do not know what to think of them and the quality.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post more pictures.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

The two screenshots you uploaded are okay.

Please post more in order to examine your head CT correctly.

Awaiting......
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 22 minutes later
Hi I do not have anymore other than the 2 pictures
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
All images are necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.

It is impossible and not professional to give a correct opinion only by examining one of the CT scan views.

The first image is just a x-rays imaging of the head.

Second one is a cut in the level of midbrain, and there seems to be an asymmetrical change between deep temporal lobes.

Again, it is necessary for all images of the CT scan in order to get a correct understanding.

I remain at your disposal for further clarifications.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 11 minutes later
Thank you doctor. What is an assymetrical change in terms of health mean? Also canyou please tell me where you seeit?
Brief Answer:
Full CT views are necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Again, it is not possible to get a correct understanding just by looking at one slide of the CT scan, it could be nothing.

I just doubt it at deep temporal lobe that corresponds to hippocampal area, at the right ( the left side on the slide ).

It is necessary to provide full CT scan views, or a new brain MRI in order to get a correct answer about your concerns.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana