What causes numbness in fingers while on Cymbalta and Mitrazapine?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Mental Health
Question: My fingers have been numb since starting mirtazipine while being on cymbaltalta
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
High dose of Cymbalta along with Mirtazapine is the reason of numbness

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

Mirtazapine and Cymbalta both drugs are involved in serotonin neurotransmission. You are on 15 mg Mirtazapine and increased Cymbalta to 120 mg. Increasing the dose of Cymbalta from 60 to 120 along with Mirtazapine 15 has probably resulted in increased serotonergic output. Avoid taking these doses together and you will not feel the numbness. If you have prescription then you can take low dose benzodiazepine like Clonazepam 0.25 for that numbness. This will reduce in some time. Discuss with your doctor if this persists.

Thanks, Take care. If you have more doubts please ask again.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 8 hours later
How long should this take? Only been on mirtazapine for 3 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait for one more week.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking again.

In coming week you will start developing tolerance to side effects. The numbness will decrease. Or other option is to reduce the dose of Cymbalta to 80 mg for few days and then increase again to 120 after 2 weeks.

Thanks. Take care