What causes numbness in fingers during sleep?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Elderly Problems
Question: Over the past month, I have been experiencing frozen fingers during the night while sleeping. I wake up with my thumb and first tw fingers feeling numb and enlarged. If I move to another position it disipates but comes back sometimes in the other hand. It interrupts my sleep. I am 68 years old.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. I think that you are having neuropathy. This can be due to either cervical spondylitis or vitamin B 12 deficiency. As you are saying that change in position gives you pain relief so chances of cervical problem ate high. In this condition when you sleep in same position for long time then there is continuous pressure on nerves and it cauaes freezing like sensation. I would suggest you following.
1.Avoid keeping neck in same position for long time.
2. Avoid using very high pillow.
3. Tablet Pregabalin and methyl cobal daily at night time.
4. soft cervical coller can be worn.
I hope these step will be useful for you. let me know if there is any other followup questions. thanks