What causes numbness and pain in leg after a flight journey?

Dr. Gaurav Katiyar

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I made the flight thank you. Although I am no closer to diagnosis or treatment. My foot is now asleep upvto 6 hrs a day and when it does wake it is extremely painful.
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
nerve compression

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and previous history.
Your condition seems to be of nerve origin.
Most probable cause is nerve compression at lumbar spine. It starts initially as pin and needle sensation in lower leg and gradually lead to numbness and pain in leg.
Other cause may include deficiency of vitamin B12 and D3.

You need to visit a neurologist for clinical examination along with investigations like MRI lumbar spine, blood tests for level of B12 and D3. Your physiotherapist will help you to ease pain by some exercises. Neurotropic medicines also help in reducing pain.

Hope I have answered you. You can close the discussion and rate the answer, if you don't have further query.

Wish you good health
Dr. Gaurav Katiyar
For further queries you can contact me directly on http://bit.ly/DrGaurav
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 10 hours later
Thank you. I cannot take lyrica I didn't tolerate it. Having bloods checked. Might have to seek referral to see neuro.
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult Neurologist

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the follow up.

Consulting a neurologist will be a good option. If Lyrica (pregabalin) is intolerable then other substitutes are available and will be prescribed by your doctor after evaluation.

You can share your reports with me on my page and i will be happy to help. You can close the discussion and rate the answer, if you don't have further query.

Wish you good health
Dr. Gaurav Katiyar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
I have also been on endep .was taken off that to be put on cymbalta nov13 60 to120mgs daily and I've also had a ketamine infusion june13.with relief but not long standing or reliable. So think a neuro only option left. I have done damage to oesophagus and stomach from anti inflammatory s when I first injured foot making it hard to have some meds.
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
decompression

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the follow up.
After MRI of spine or area of trauma, if there found to be nerve compression, then decompression of the nerve will be done surgically. Usually pain killers reduces the pain only and not the underlying cause. First cause need to be found out and treatment will be done accordingly by a neurosurgeon..

Yes, long term use of NSAIDs result in gastric and esophageal ulcer. they are avoided and if not, should be accompanied with proton pump inhibitors.

Wish you good health
Dr. Gaurav Katiyar
Follow up: Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 36 minutes later
That is exactly what I have been telling my docs but they not listening.or feel confronted when I approach them to investigate further.how do I approach without them getting offended ?
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Approach with your history

Detailed Answer:

Thanks again for the query.
You should approach doctor specialized with your problem ( neurosurgeon). Tell him about all your previous history of illness, what tests you had, medicines you had taken and your allergies and what you think about the present problem. Ask him, what he thinks about your problem, what future steps need to be taken. After that you can ask him about options of other investigations and treatment. Do not fear if you ask him about anything, he will always help you with his clinical experience and specialty.

Getting offended is personal thought and cannot be commented.

Wish you good health
Dr. Gaurav Katiyar