What causes numb legs after steroid injections when with pinched nerves?

Posted on Fri, 21 Nov 2014 in Back Pain
Question: Hi doctor,
Since about 2-3 years, after steroid injections,pinched nerve L3/L4/L5, legs have constantly remainded numb,and sometimes as well cramp's/ what solution to be done to be cured?
Answered by Dr. Ahmad Nazzal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Disc surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thank you for your question and I will try to my best to answer your question. I fully understand the frustration you feel from chronic pain and numbness caused by the disc problem you have, its a very common problem and a very nagging one.

The ultimate solution will be a disc repair surgery, nevertheless its an option to be kept for the last moment, and I mean to the moment that you cant move your legs anymore or you develop symptoms like urine incontinence due to the nerve impingement you have. Keeping in mind all the risk that going under surgery imposes on health from general anesthesia to complications of after surgery and at your age its an option that I recommend to delay as far as you can.

Treatment options are pain control medications like Iburprufen 400mg twice daily, paracetamol of 500 mg 3 times per day, that is for duration of a week. its important to take the Ibuprufen one a full stomach, and if you have stomach problems like an ulcer you are not allowed to take it.

For the numbness you can take Gabapentin, this anti epileptic drug was shown to help with chronic neuropathic pain and numbness. Please talk to your doctor about the dosage and prescription for the same

and intramuscular injection of vitamin B12 will help with neural repair too.

Plus life style modifications like weight loss do help in relieving pain caused by discs herniation or prolapse.

for further questions please don't hesitate to contact me, I hope the previous options will help you handle the pinched nerve problem and provide options for you to choose from.

I wish you great health and thank you again for your question.

Kind regards,
Dr. Ahmad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ahmad Nazzal