What causes nipple pain?

Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

Posted on Mon, 12 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: Hello , i have nipple pain for 6 days
This is the first time that happened, they are always erect , pain is more if i take off my bra, my last period was on august 24 but im sure im not pregnant and not on the pil
xxxx
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some details to guide you better

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank You for contacting HCM. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. There could be a number of causes for your complaint. I would be in a better position to guide you anything if you answer following questions please:

1. any history of trauma?
2. are you sexually active? if yes then when was last time you had sex?
3. did pain start after sex or it started randomly?
4. are you married? if yes then do you have any infant whom doing breast feeding?
5. have you noticed any discharge from nipple?
6. any history of swelling near nipple area?
7. any history of fever?

6. any other symptom that you would like to share?

I will be looking forward for the answers to conclude the discussion in the best interest of yours.
Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 8 minutes later
Thank you doctor
My youngest child is 2 now i stopped feeding him a year ago , no trauma or fever or swelling
Last time we had sex was about a month ago
No nipple discharge or lumps by self exam
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably inflammation

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank you for getting back with the answers. There could be a number of causes for nipple pain. Most common include hormonal irregularity, misfitted bra, friction between garments and skin. Other causes includes pregnancy, gynecological diseases. As there is no other significant history so there are chances of simple inflammation causing pain. If i were your treating doctor then i would have advised following things:

- ibuprofen thrice a day for 2 days.
- take hot water in a rubber bottle and place it at the site if pain. it will give soothing effect
- wear loose garments.

Hopefully you will see improvement in 2-3 days BUT if condition remains same or aggravates then you need to visit hospital for further workup.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 9 minutes later
Thanks a lot Doctor
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

You are most welcome. I'll be available 24/7 for if you ever need assistance. Don't forget to close the discussion and rate it. Feel free to contact me directly on HCM by visiting http://goo.gl/fxj9bG

Wishing you good health !!