What causes nipple discharge?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 17 Oct 2014 in Lump
Question: Hello, I am a 23 year old woman. No children, normal periods, no family history of breast cancer.

I have had some nipple discharge when I press my nipples for a while. I asked my doctor and she told me that it could be my prolactin levels because I am constantly checking my nipples. She told me to stop so I am not sure if it improved.

However, since last month, my right nipple has been sore. I won't notice it unless I touch it. My left nipple has no soreness but right one does. Since breast cancer awareness month is coming up I follow their stories and hearing people's stories are starting to get me worried. I hear lots of stories of misdiagnosis. What could this pain be?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Breast cancer is hardly possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Nipples discharge is a symptom of breast cancer in very rare cases. And for sure there is never a discharge from both nipples in case of breast cancer. So the cancer is hardly possible.
When you often palpate nipples, it stimulates hormones and can indicate breast discharge. Moreover when you often check your nipples, it may cause some inflammation and give soreness in it.
So to make it clear. Please do not examine your nipples so often. I do understand you are worried about breast cancer.
To ease your mind and to make sure no cancer, cyst or abscess in the sore breast is present, please have an ultrasound of this breast done.
If you have fever, an inflammation can be the reason. If you have constipation, tiredness, hypothyroidism should be considered and TSH checked.
If the discharge will be still present, you should have prolactine level checked.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.