• question-icon

What causes nausea while on Zoloft?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi
I am 37 yrs old and for the past 9 months been feeling nauseous but never sick, constantly tired, loss of appetite, hot sweats on/off, light headed, frequent need to urinate, mood swings. Had multiple blood tests, hormone tests, ct scans of abdominal and head, cortisone test, endoscopy and cealiac tested. All clear. I have no life and a family and business to run. Have started taking Zoloft for last 2 weeks and feel same. Please help
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Zoloft needs a couple of weeks to start it's effect:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
Sorry to learn about your bothersome symptoms.
Low blood pressure associated with nausea and fatigue is suggestive for adrenal insufficiency, but you say that synacten stimulation test is done and the adrenal function is normal ( you may attach the results if you need a second opinion).
If all pathologies are excludes than it may be a depressive period (of course your physician has confirmed it before deciding to start zoloft).
You should know that zoloft starts it's effect about 2 weeks after starting treatment, so you need to wait some weeks to see the effect.
Meanwhile it is very important to avoid stress, go out for walking or following some psychotherapy sessions.
Will be a pleasure to help you further.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist