What causes chronic sleeplessness?

Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I cannot seem to figure a way to get over not sleeping-I have not slept in over a week at all(maybe adrenal insufficiency) Have good diet and B 5, iodine, dhea, adrenal cortex, multi already in place. I had a natural testosterone pellet inserted two weeks ago, but not sleeping has existed for 2 years. Typical night 3 hrs sleep. What am I missing? The family doctors don't see the cortisol low, so they wont do the hydrocortisone. I've heard of the saliva test, but the doctors are not willing. TSH was 10
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Low cortisol can cause insomnia.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have gone through your query.
I can understand your concern.

You mention that your "not sleeping" problem has existed for 2 years.
This means that you have chronic insomnia.
Insomnia is called chronic when a person has insomnia at least three nights a week for a month or longer.

Anxiety, stress, and depression are some of the most common causes of chronic insomnia. Having difficulty sleeping can also make anxiety, stress, and depression symptoms worse.
Other common emotional and psychological causes include anger, worry, grief, and trauma.
Even low cortisol or adrenal insufficiency can cause insomnia.

If you were my patient,i will ask you to do the cortisol level to clarifie your adrenal actual situation.
TSH =10 means hypothyroidism and this can be another cause od sleeping difficulty.

I suggest to meet your treating endocrinologist to do the dosis adjustment of levothyroxine because your TSH test is not within the rang.

At the other side i will suggest to consult a psychologist because the stress is always an important element in cases with insomnia.

Hope this is helpful.
If you have other questions,feel free and ask.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng