What causes difficulty in sleeping when diagnosed with low thyroid function?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am a 49 yr old female with low thyroid and am completely unable to sleep. I need to see an endocrinologist, but am in an emergency of some kind with adrenal exhaustion. I have a TSH of 10, which of course shows how bad the thyroid is, but its tied somehow to adrenal exhaustion, perimenopause and the lack of sleep for 2 years has caused heart arythmias. I am seeing a bio hormone replacement specialist who has placed the yam sourced testosterone pellet 2 weeks ago in the hip, but 1-2 hours of sleep a night for 2 years has left the adrenals exhausted. I eat a very healthy diet of mostly vegetables as well as very little stress. Great support system in place. I have heard that the adrenal might need a few doses of cortisol to reset the adrenal thyroid connection. Also my thyroid and heart both hurt. I can feel pain in my neck when I am pushing to get going in the morning. My heart and chest hurt when resting, a sort of tightness with hard palpitations

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About your concern:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern!
Adrenal insufficiency (or adrenal exhaustion), is a pathology that needs to be corrected before the thyroid hormone (levothyroxine) is started because an increased thyroid function may deteriorate the situation.
One week after hydrocortisone is started for adrenal insufficiency, may be added levothyroxine to correct thyroid function too.
These pathologies can not be corrected with diet and may be fatal if the treatment is not taken correctly.
I can understand your actual situation, but once hydrocortisone is started the symptoms will improve within a few days.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj